I have SQL Server 2005 Enterprise SP2 running in a 32Bit Server 2008 Active / Passive Cluster (not R2). Recently just upgraded to SQL Server SP3 however ran into Numerous issues trying to update due to either Error 29512 or 11009.
Here's what I did to Resolve the issue and get SP3 updated Successfully on my Cluster:
Step 1: Download SQL Server Enterprise SP3 update for SQL 2005.
Step 2: Make sure your (SQLSERVER instance, SQL Server Agent, and SQL Server Full Text Search) Services are set to "Log On As" your Domain Admin Account that is setup for the Cluster. It has to be configured as DOMAIN\USER ACCOUNT. NOT as Useraccount@domain.com
Otherwise you will receive the 29512 Error when attempting to install.
Step 3. Ensure you are logged onto your Passive Node with the Domain Admin Account.
Step 4. Go to DOS and execute the SP3.exe update with the "/passive" command. - This will launch the installation and should now by-pass the Cluster check and you shouldn't receive the 11009 Error message.
Step 5. Once the Installation is completed your passive node should re-boot, now go to your Active Node.
Step 6. On the Active Node - open failover clustering and Pause the Passive Node and stop the SQL Services on the Active node.
Step 7. Ensure your Services are configured in Step 2. and launch the SP3 Update.exe. - Allow the installation to complete (it will probably ask for a reboot do not reboot yet).
Step 8. Un-Pause the Passive Node in the cluster, restart your SQL Services. then Reboot the Active Node.
Everything should failover to your Passive Node and all your SQL Services should now be update to SP3. These are the steps I went through to resolve the issues but unfortunately could not find any solid answers. I hope this helps.Read more...