MOSS 2007 restores have always been a headache for us- neither import/export nor backup/restore work reliably for us- sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.
I encountered the following issue last week- does anyone know of a hotfix or some other solution for this error: "The site collection could not be restored. If this problem persists, please make
sure the content databases are available and have sufficient free space."
I have set up a sharepoint recovery farm and have been backing up the sharepoint content databases and profile databases directly from SQL. I was able to successfully restore a backup of the content database to the recovery farm. The site came up fine on the recovery farm and I was able to create a backup of the site I needed via stsadm site backup command, however when trying to restore the site to the live farm (and I have succesfully backed up and restored other sites from recovery to live this way) I got:
The site collection could not be restored. If this problem persists, please make
sure the content databases are available and have sufficient free space.
I tried deleting the site and recreating it, which put it on a new content database (sharepoi3 instead of 2) but still got the same error when trying to restore.
I did a databaserepair on all 3 content databases, to check for orphaned objects, but found nothing.
I restarted the windows timer service and did an iisreset on all 4 sharepoint servers. This did not help either.
The only other solution I could find would be to remove and then add the live databases (through stsadm) and since I wasn't feeling lucky and didn’t want to make the other sites unavailable, I opted to try and find a workaround.
I did an export on the site on the recovery farm, which was successful, but when trying to import it it threw an error-
Start Time: 10/2/2009 6:39:18 PM.
Progress: Initializing Import.
FatalError: Could not find WebTemplate #10799 with LCID 1033.
Progress: Import Completed.
Eventually I manually recreated the site in live and restored content from the subsites, (save as template with content) but this of course lost all permissions.